As society becomes increasingly transient, more and more parents are seeking court approval to move their children to a different jurisdiction. The courts do not make it easy to relocate if you have children since inevitably the children will not see the non-custodial parent as much as before the move. However, if the noncustodial parent has not been granted parenting time or visitation rights, then their permission may not be necessary.


The court will grant permission for an out-of-state relocation for a custodial parent if it determines that the move is in the child’s best interest. This will be determined based on a number of factors, including the following:

  • What is the reason for the relocation?
  • What kind of relationship does the child have with the noncustodial parent?
  • What is the age of the child?
  • What is the developmental stage of the child?
  • Will the relocation mean a change in the quality of life for both the child as well as the custodial parent?

If the court is satisfied with the answers to these questions, then it may give permission to the custodial parent to move.  Permission for relocation will not be granted if the purpose of the move is to interfere with the parenting time of the noncustodial parent.

If you want to work with an attorney who is committed to working with parents to help achieve their objectives that are in line with the best interest of the child when moving out of state, contact our firm or call 410-290-6270 to schedule your appointment.

Mr. Mulinazzi did an outstanding job with my child custody case. I would highly recommend him.

A Child Custody client Child Custody

Find Us

10015 Old Columbia Rd,
Ste B215 Columbia,
MD 21046

(410) 290-6271