Name Changes in Maryland

Is it easy to change my name and do I need an attorney to do it?

When it comes to name changes in Maryland, the best news is that it is a relatively inexpensive process to hire an attorney to help you with this.  The process to change your name with the Court involves many steps that are not intuitive to a non-lawyer. MLO/Mulinazzi Law Office have obtained dozens of name changes in Maryland for our clients and therefore we know the process intimately.  We can explain the proper versus improper reasons to change your name, help you navigate the filing to include the requirement of posting your intended name change in the proper newspaper, and help with the court hearing if it comes to that.

There are many unique reasons to get your name changed. Some people want a name change to better and officially identify with their true family members, they want to return to a maiden name, or they want a name that accurately reflects their identity and who they see in the mirror.  Whatever your reason, call the Maryland Super Lawyers at MLO/Mulinazzi Law Office to help you make this important change in your life.


Is the process to file a name change on behalf of a minor the same as for an adult name change?

No, the process is very different and involves more oversight by the Court since the Court always wants to make sure the best interests of the child are taken into account with the name change.  All parents and guardians of the minor will have to be served with notice that the minor child intends to change his or her name or a notice must be published in a newspaper of the intended name change.  If one of the parents or guardians does not consent to the change, then the process becomes imminently more difficult but not impossible. This can get emotionally difficult for parents to agree to a change.  MLO/Mulinazzi Law Office attorneys are highly skilled custody lawyers.  We understand the emotions and motivations, we learn the history and the important people involved in the decision and the disagreement, and we help you come up with solutions and options.

If there is no agreement by either party that the child can change his or her name, then the requesting party must show it is in the child’s best interests, based upon the following factors:

  • The child’s reasonable preference, if the child is of the age and maturity to express a meaningful preference;
  • The length of time the child has used any of the surnames being considered;
  • The effect that having one name or the other may have on the preservation and development of the child’s mother-child and father-child relationships;
  • The identification of the child as a part of a family unit;
  • The embarrassment, difficulties, or harassment that may result from the child’s use of a particular surname;
  • Misconduct by one of the child’s parents disparaging of that parent’s surname;
  • Failure of one of the child’s parents to contribute to the child’s support or to maintain contact with the child; and
  • The degree of community good will or respect associated with a particular surname.

Call MLO/Mulinazzi Law Office (410-290-6270), our award-winning attorneys have helped families petition Courts for a name changes for minors and can help you navigate this process for your own family.

Mr. Mulinazzi did an outstanding job with my child custody case. I would highly recommend him.

A Child Custody client Child Custody

Find Us

10015 Old Columbia Rd,
Ste B215 Columbia,
MD 21046

(410) 290-6271