Child Support in Maryland

“Can the child support change if she starts making a lot more money? What if I remarry? What do I do when one of the children graduates? Who pays for braces or therapy?”

When there is already an existing court order for child support and a change is requested the Court refers to the case as a modification or “MOD” case.” In every one of those cases, you must prove that an Order exists and that since the date of the last Order there has been a material change effecting the income(s) of one or more parent and/or a change in the child(ren)’s expenses.

Still, not every change will suffice to modify the amount of child support – the change must be “material.” The lawyers at the Mulinazzi Law Office understand the finer points of the law and how the Magistrates and Judges interpret the law. We regularly work with clients to help them understand what constitutes a material change in circumstances. One example of a material change is when your child needs braces. Every parent dreads this and it is only fair that BOTH parents pay their share of the child’s expense. Braces or orthodontia are examples of “extraordinary medical expenses” and these expenses should be included in the child support calculation. Other expenses come up as well and some of those could also be included in the calculation. Contact our Office to set up an appointment to speak with one of the expert child support attorneys at Mulinazzi Law Office.

What do I do if he is ‘voluntarily impoverishing’ himself?”
This situation happens when the obligor parent reduces their income voluntarily and does so for the purposes of avoiding paying the full child support amount. Presenting a “voluntary impoverishment” case to the Court is very difficult to do and not all cases present adequate facts. However, Mulinazzi Law Office has won these cases and our lawyers enjoy a great reputation with the Bench and Bar for being successful litigators in this area and all areas of domestic/family law.

Cost vs. Benefit: We know legal representation is expensive and that going to court can seem like a bit of a gamble on the outcome. When it comes to child support we help our clients build their case for a modification before going to court and collaborate with them to find the most cost efficient method of pursuing the change in child support. After all, it doesn’t make any sense to pay lawyers money just to get the correct child support that you kids deserve.

Will the Court order her (or him) to pay my legal fees for my child support case?”
Maryland Law does allow the Court to award attorney’s fees in child support cases. There are a few different factors that the Court considers. Some factors are financial and others are based on your justification for bringing or defending the action and whether or not they have justification. The Court will not let the other side bully you out of seeking the correct amount of child support by threatening to run up your legal fees. The attorneys at Mulinazzi Law Office are frequently awarded attorney’s fees, sometimes 100%, in these types of cases from Courts in Howard County, Anne Arundel County, Baltimore, Montgomery, Carroll, and Prince George’s Counties. Our firm works with clients throughout Clarksville, Columbia, Ellicott City, Fulton, Fort Meade, Laurel, Odenton, Olney and nearby areas.

If you want to work with an attorney who will help you determine the correct amount of child support and the best and least expensive way to get it for your child, contact our firm online or call 410-290-6270 to schedule your appointment.

Mr. Mulinazzi did an outstanding job with my child custody case. I would highly recommend him.

A Child Custody client Child Custody

Find Us

10015 Old Columbia Rd,
Ste B215 Columbia,
MD 21046

(410) 290-6271